Frida Kahlo - The Movie (2001)
Currently in pre-production
Filming starts in Jan/Feb 2001
Directed by: Julie Taymor
Writing Credits: Rodrigo García
Distributor: Miramax
Starring: Salma Hayek .... Frida Kahlo
Alfred Molina .... Diego Rivera
Antonia Banderas .... David Siqueiros
Ashley Judd .... Tina Modotti
Edward Norton .... Nelson Rockefeller

Welcome to, the website that will provide you with up-to-date info on the production of Frida. Features will include news, articles, reviews, portraits of the cast and the real characters as well as exclusive material from the set. If you have new information contact us! is brought to you by


Newsletter 112300 is online!

Join the FREE newsletter for the latest news on the production of the movie Frida.
Enter your email address & press go.


112200 Diego and Kahlo Art Exhibit in Dallas
A new exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art spans two love affairs - that of the tumultuous relationship between Mexican masters Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, and that of Jacques and Natasha Gelman, whose passion for collecting art cultivated many careers. This is a great oppurtunity to see Kahlo's work.
Read the full article here!

111900 Geoffrey Rush as Leon Trotsky?
According to Entertainment Weekly director Julie Taymor is courting Geoffrey Rush (Shine, Quills) for the role of Trotsky in Miramax's Frida Kahlo biopic starring Salma Hayek and Edward Norton. Thanks to Carlos Adair for the info!

102200 Penelope Cruz joins the cast?
Penelope Cruz might join the cast of Frida as the role of Cristina, Frida's sister, has been offered to her lately. Although Penelope always wanted to work with her close friend she might not have the time to film the movie. If Penelope can't commit to the project Michelle Rodigruez (Girlfight) is in talks to play Cristina.

091900 Julie Taymor to direct Frida
Banderas, Judd and Norton join the cast

Miramax has offered the direction of "Frida" to Julie Taymor who is best known for her Broadway staging of "The Lion King". Antonio Banderas, Ashley Judd and Edward Norton joined the cast of Frida. Banderas will play David Siqueiros while Judd will portray Tina Modotti. Norton will do a cameo as Nelson Rockefeller.

082200 TV Guide Poll
On Monday TV Guide Online's Poll of the Day raised the question: Jennifer Lopez or Salma Hayek who should portray artist Frida Kahlo? More than 2000 people voted online and the results couldn't be better for Salma. 80% think "Native Mexican Salma Hayek will have a special feel for the role this is her chance to break out of the schlock and show us what she's got!" while only 20% are in favor of Jennifer Lopez.

081500 Salma or Jennifer?
While Salma Hayek has been fighting for a Frida Kahlo project for years Jennifer Lopez is now circling a Kahlo biopic produced by Francis Ford Coppola. Salma has been obsessed by the making of the movie for one simple reason: she admires Kahlo and wants to tell her country's history. Now that her dream is finally becoming real producers had the "great" idea to cast Lopez in a similar movie. Lopez hasn't signed yet but will possibly join the competition.

more news